What We Do
Cambrium’s mission is to trigger the next wave of material innovation by harnessing nature's building blocks. We are building a platform to design and develop novel protein materials with enhanced chemical and physical properties. Cambrium is funded by Merantix, a machine learning Venture Studio. This gives us a network of more than 80 engineers, scientists, and entrepreneurs from leading companies and universities.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity. We consider all applications equally regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or gender identity. We strongly encourage individuals from groups traditionally underrepresented in tech to apply, and we can help with immigration.
We are looking for a Bioinformatician who will be responsible for setting up a robust and versatile bioinformatics pipeline, bringing together NGS data, omics, systems biology and AI to supercharge the strain optimization cycles in our automated lab. Your role will also include elements of computational biology, using genome-scale model approaches.
You will be part of the technical team, whose task is to integrate software and experimental pipelines for high throughput learning, in synergy with the laboratory team. You will interface with a diverse R&D group comprising computational biologists, strain engineers, protein scientists, and machine learning scientists. You will be one of the early employees, having an outsized impact, shaping the company through your efforts, scientific experience and industry expertise.
What you will do:
- Develop pipelines to process genetic sequences and integrate experimental data, and derive phenotypic insights and knowledge of our biological hosts, in collaboration with a diverse team.
- Collaborate with both our lab and tech teams to provide bioinformatics expertise, including data collection, pipeline development, algorithm design, analysis and visualization
- Follow the developments in NGS technologies, data analysis methods or algorithms, be proactive in sharing knowledge and expertise
- Practice and enforce good programming practices, documentation and reproducible research
- Coordinate bioinformatics efforts on different projects, and communicate results to diverse audiences, including project teams, other departments, collaborators, and customers
What we think is essential:
- Organizational, interpersonal and communication skills, multi-tasking and able to work within in a cross-functional team environment where your voice will be heard
- Good self governance in planning, prioritizing and executing work assignments, using discretion and independent judgment within broadly defined practices and policies
- Experience with NGS data analysis e.g. WGS, WES, RNA-Seq, and with general Bioinformatics tools, e.g. sequence alignment, variant analysis and database queries
- A PhD degree in Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Computer Science, or a relevant subject area, including 3+ years of direct related experience, or a relevant Masters degree plus 3+ years of direct related experience
What we also like in applicants:
- Proficiency in things we enjoy working with: Python, Git, Docker, (no-)SQL frameworks
- Previous interaction with genome-scale models, in particular with the Cobra package
- Experience with cloud deployment (AWS, Azure, GCP) and high-performance computing
- Statistical skills, with data science and/or machine learning experience is a plus
- Curiosity and open-mindedness
What We Offer
In addition to a competitive salary and equity package, you can expect the following:
- Flexible working hours
- Learning & Development Program for all our team members
- Regular team events
- Exchange with other Merantix companies
- Free drinks, fruit, and breakfast (to keep your brain fed!)